Sunday, September 24, 2017

another pearl on the memory string

For Chris Weaver

I am putting another pearl on my string of memories
the string that i keep in the deepest chamber of my heart
there are too many pearls on that string already
one rose colored for my little sister who left at nineteen
one dark green for my father who loved the forest
a couple of multicolored for my grandmothers and ancestors
an orange for my fun loving mother-in-law
and now i have to add this light blue, almost translucent pearl
for my friend, the poet, the teacher, the visionary
who was so sure about the road to heaven that he got lost in this world
grateful for those memories, those beautiful colorful pearls
and still - there are too many.

my string of pearl of forever loved and cherished people
leaving us behind in this world
leaving us on the bank of the river at Olivette
searching for meaning and trying to remember that you taught us
to not forget the most important
the children


No comments: